Time: 30 mins
You don’t have to go to Wagamama every time you want Japanese food, using this recipe you can just make it yourself at home. Its pretty cheap, I recommend buying 3 lots of ingredients as it works out much cheaper. Its incredibly healthy and best of all its easy to make. Lets take a look.
Ingredients for one portion:
- 2 chicken thighs
- 3 stems of pak choi
- 1 medium/small carrot
- 1 red chilli
- Handful of chopped spring onion
- 1/2 cup (100g) of Thai sticky or jasmine rice
- Tablespoon of Kimchee (optional)
- Sprinkling of sesame seeds
- 6 tablespoons of teriyaki
- 1 lemon
Repeat this for each portion.
- Set the oven to 200 degrees C (400 F).
- In a small bowl mix 4 tablespoons of teriyaki with enough flour to form a paste then add a drizzle of olive oil and squeeze in half lemon.
- Marinade the chicken thighs on both sides and place on a baking tray before seasoning with salt and pepper. Now place it in the oven for 15-20 mins
- Whilst the chicken is in the oven begin to boil the rice in a small saucepan.
- Now grate the carrot using the large side of the grater and place in a bowl.
- Thinly slice the chilli and spring onion and place in the bowl with the carrot.
- As the rice is finishing, of place the pak choi in with the rice for 2 mins and then drain out all the water.
- Next place the serving of rice in the middle of the bowl and add the vegetables (including kimchee) on the sides and the copped chicken thighs on the top.
- To finish, drizzle 2 more table spoons of teriyaki over the top and then sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
- Season to taste with black pepper and soy sauce and enjoy.
What will this cost you? Lets take a look:
3 portions worth:
- Packet of 6 boned and skinned chicken thighs – £2.50
- Packet of pak choi – £1.20
- Small bag of carrots – £0.60
- Mixed chillies – £0.60
- Bunch of spring onions – £0.55
- Thai sticky rice (500g) – £1.15
- Jar of Kimchee (optional) – £2.75
- Bag of sesame seeds – £0.50
- Teriyaki sauce – £1
- 1 lemon – £0.35
Total cost – £8.45
Price per portion – £2.82