Everyone loves some form of soup, its easy to eat, easy to make and a perfect warming lunch on a rainy day. This red Thai chicken soup will take you on a journey to a new level of flavour that will blow you mind. Its not too hard to do, cheap and will last in the fridge for up to 3 days after making.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 Onions (brown or white)
- 3 heaped tablespoons of red curry paste
- 2 leeks
- 1.25 litres of water
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 300g of red lentils
- To start with set a large saucepan on a medium/high heat and lay in your three chicken breasts with a splash of olive oil and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Once the chicken is in, you can put the lid on and get all your vegetables out ready.
- Chop your butternut squash in half from top to bottom and then slice into inch thick chunks after taking seeds out – set to one side once done
- Now chop your leeks into thin slices, your onions into half rings and throw all your veg into the pan on top of the chicken with another seasoning of salt and pepper and then put the lid back on.
- After 5 minutes or so, you can add your red curry paste and two crushed garlic cloves and stir it all together.
- Leave it like this for another 15 mins whilst you chop the stalks of your coriander into small pieces and add to the pan with your water and lentils and mix everything together and turn down to a medium heat.
- When it starts to boil, make sure you continue to stir it every 10 mins or so, but now you can leave it for another 30 mins with the lid off and it should slowly thicken up into a beautiful soup.
- Once you’re happy with it, shred your chicken in the pan or on a chopping board and then mash up your squash into the soup and it should be ready to eat.
- For best enjoyment, serve with bread, salt and pepper and a garnishing of fresh coriander leaves.
This meal isn’t just great for you, its great for your wallet and you can add any extra leftover vegetables you have in the fridge. You will need to buy:
- 3 chicken breasts – £3.75
- 1 butternut squash – £0.70
- Pack of 3 brown onions – £0.80
- Jar of red curry paste – £1
- 2 Leeks – £0.60
- Pack of fresh coriander – £0.50
- 500g pack of red lentils – £0.75
Total estimated cost – £8.10
Price per portion – £1.62
At £1.62 you’d be insane not to try this soup, plus its easy clean up and not much hassle to make at all. Bon appetít.