Time: 15 mins
Another traditional Italian meal, perfect for a quick throw together using only 5 ingredients that you should already have in the fridge. Perfect for a quick dinner, last minute when you don’t have much to work with, yet it will still produce a fantastically delicious meal.
- 3 rashes of bacon or pancetta
- 2 medium sized eggs
- 1 tbsp of oregano
- 2 portions of spaghetti
- 1/3 of a block of Parmigiano reggiano or pecorino cheese
- 1 tbsp of butter
- As any chef would do, wash your hands and get all your ingredients out.
- This meal isn’t going to take long, so the first thing you need to do is boil a pan half full of water, throw in your dried spaghetti with a splash of olive oil and salt and set a timer for 10 mins.
- Next, slice the meat into thin inch long strips and put in a high heat pan with a table spoon of olive oil, season with pepper.
- Whilst your bacon is sizzling away, grate your parmesan into a bowl and put to the side.
- Keep stirring the bacon as it crisps up and once crispy, turn the pan down to a low/medium heat and add your oregano.
- Once your pasta is done, drain it and add it to the pan with your butter and half your cheese – give it a good stir.
- Continuing to mix and stir the pasta together, add the rest of your cheese and crack in your two eggs, making sure you brake the yolks with your spatula/spoon whilst mixing, take the pan off the heat to make sure your eggs don’t overcook.
- Once you’re parmesan has melted and your egg is mixed in, simply portion it out into bowls and serve with a generous seasoning of black pepper and a pinch of salt.
You should have most of these ingredients sitting in the fridge, however, for those who don’t here is a estimated price list for the things you might need to buy.
- Small packet of bacon – £1.50
- Box off eggs – £1
- Packet of dried spaghetti – £0.50
- Block of Parmigiano reggiano – £1.50
Total estimated cost – £4.50
Price per portion – £2.25
At a maximum, this will cost you £2.25 per portion and thats assuming you don’t already have any of the essential ingredients, for maximum taste and minimum time, that is perfectly worth it. Quick warning: don’t reheat this meal or put it in the fridge if it’s just you eating it, half the ingredient measurements.