Time: 15 mins
Another traditional Italian meal, perfect for a quick throw together using only 5 ingredients that you should already have in the fridge. Perfect for a quick dinner, last minute when you don’t have much to work with, yet it will still produce a fantastically delicious meal.
- 100g of lardons
- 2 medium sized eggs
- 1 tbsp of oregano
- 300g of fresh spaghetti
- 1/3 of a block of Parmigiano reggiano or pecorino cheese
- 1 tbsp of butter
- As any chef would do, wash your hands and get all your ingredients out.
- This meal isn’t going to take long, so the first thing you need to do is boil a pan half full of water, throw in your dried spaghetti with a splash of olive oil and salt and set a timer for 10 mins.
- Next, slice the meat into thin inch long strips and put in a high heat pan with a table spoon of olive oil, season with pepper.
- Whilst your bacon is sizzling away, grate your parmesan into a bowl and put to the side.
- Keep stirring the bacon as it crisps up and once crispy, turn the pan down to a low/medium heat and add your oregano.
- Once your pasta is done, drain it and add it to the pan with your butter and half your cheese – give it a good stir.
- Continuing to mix and stir the pasta together, add the rest of your cheese and crack in your two eggs, making sure you brake the yolks with your spatula/spoon whilst mixing, take the pan off the heat to make sure your eggs don’t overcook.
- Once you’re parmesan has melted and your egg is mixed in, simply portion it out into bowls and serve with a generous seasoning of black pepper and a pinch of salt.
What will this cost you? Lets take a look:
- Pack of lardons – £1.75
- Box of 6 free range eggs – £0.89
- 400g pack of fresh spaghetti – £1.50
- Block of parmigiano reggiano – £2
Total estimated cost – £6.14
Price per portion – £3.07