Time: 1hr 30 mins
Known originally as a Ragú in Italy, bolognese is always a favourite, weather you’re having a family meal, on a date or just on your own in front of the TV. With this recipe, you can make the perfect bolognese that not only is delicious, but is very economical when made in a big batch allowing it to be stored in the freezer for weeks.
- 1kg of beef mince (no more than 20% fat)
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of tomato puree
- 10 leaves of chopped fresh basil (2tbsp of oregano can be used instead)
- 2 large white onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1kg Spaghetti (serves 3/4)
- With this dish prep is less important as you can do it whilst cooking. So, wash you’re hands and get out your ingredients.
- To start with, put a large saucepan on a high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Chop your basil and throw in half of it, leave the other half to one side for now,
- As soon as you’ve added your basil, add all 1kg of your mince meat and chop it up with a wooden spoon and mix it around whilst giving it a generous seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Continuing to stir every minute or so, let it cook until it starts to turn 75% brown and then dice your onions and garlic into very small chunks and throw it in with the mince.
- Next, turn the heat down a little bit to medium/high heat and let it continue to cook for another 10 mins, stirring every 2 mins.
- Now you can add your tomato puree and you’re two tins of chopped tomatoes and mix it all together and season again with salt, pepper and the basil you put aside earlier.
- Using one of your tins, add a tin full of water to the saucepan and then stir in well. Let this cook for about 1hr on a medium heat stirring every 5-10 mins.
- Over time your sauce should reduce to form a beautiful thick bolognese, give it a taste to see how it is developing!
- You can continue to let your sauce gently bubble away for as long as you want, its only going to get better.
- Once you are ready to eat, if serving with spaghetti, serve with a coating of parmesan and enjoy your meal.
- As for the rest, you can wait until it is cooled to room temp and then put it in the freezer in freeze bags or tubs to be eaten at a later date.
This meal is incredibly cheap per portion and should last you around 6 meals, lets have a look at what you need to buy:
- 1kg of beef mice meat at 10-20% fat – £4.50
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes – £1
- Tube of tomato puree – £0.50
- Garlic bulb – £0.50
- 3 Pack of onions – £0.80
- Packet of fresh basil – £0.70
- 1kg of Spaghetti (optional) – £1
Total estimated cost – £9
Price per portion – £1.50
Yes that really does say £1.50… This is one of the most authentic Italian meals and it can be on your table for £1.50 and bit of your finest cooking. So, start making it!